Hi there! It has been a while. Today’s post is all about Stromboli’s, a fast and easy Stromboli. Why make the real thing when you can have all the flavors of a classic Stromboli in the palm of your hand? This dish is so much fun that a person who is a stranger in the kitchen can easily whip this thing up on a whim. I promise!
Well, first thing’s first. Grab all of the ingredients. You’re going to need:
- Italian Link Sausage
- Mozzarella Cheese (Block, not shredded)
- Pizza Dough
- Marinara Sauce
That’s it! This fun dish has only 6 ingredients. Crazy huh?! Now let’s get to it. Holy Stromboli! My mouth is watering.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. After preheating your oven, we will need to cook the Italian link sausage. This part is super easy. Grab a skillet. Preheat your pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is HOT, drizzle some olive or canola oil into the pan. Now add your sausage. Be careful because the oil and sausage may sizzle and pop. And that’s no fun. Just keep your distance and flip over the sausage when they are nice and brown on the bottom. Once flipped, wait about 5 minutes and add about 1/4 cup of water into the pan with the sausage. Now grab a lid, and place it on top. Cook until all the water has evaporated from the pan. This should take about 10 minutes or so. Once the water has been evaporated, check the internal temperature of the sausage. They should be about 165 degrees. If not, keep them over the heat until desired temperature is reached. Now, transfer them onto a plate with a paper towel to soak up the grease. You are going to want to clean that pan right away because cleaning it is such a pain after the brown goodies have cooled. Set those sausages aside.
Grab the pizza dough, and take the dough out of the package. Place on a flat surface, and cut out 5 equal strips of dough. Like this…
Now we are going to slice up the mozzarella. I used a cheese slicer, and then cut those slices in half to fit inside the dough with the sausage. Once all the cheese is sliced, pick up the sausage and one dough strip. You are going to want to roll up the cheese and sausage in an angle, so the dough will be able to cover the ends of the sausage and cheese.
After the sausage and cheese is rolled up, pinch the ends of the dough so that everything is enclosed inside. You may have to wet the tips of your fingers to successfully pinch the dough. We don’t want all that cheesy goodness to seep through, we want all the cheese to stay put.
Place all the mini Stromboli’s onto a cookie sheet lined with foil sprayed with olive oil or any cooking spray. Once they are all on the cookie sheet, grab a little bit of melted butter, salt, and Italian seasonings. Brush the tops of the Stromboli’s with the butter, and sprinkle with salt and Italian seasonings.
Now place them in the oven, and let the magic begin. They should be done in about 25 minutes. Just keep an eye on them, and pull them out when they are golden brown.
While the magic is happening in the oven, let’s make a marinara sauce dip for these babies.
Grab another skillet, and preheat your pan over medium heat. Chop up a medium onion. Try not to cry because these babies can be strong and painful. I promise I won’t, if you don’t. After the onion is chopped, peel about 3 garlic cloves. You can totally let your freak flag fly with the amount of garlic. The more, the better. Once the pan is hot, drizzle some olive oil in the pan and add your chopped onion.
Cook for about ten minutes or until the onions are translucent. Just like this…
Now add the garlic. I use a hand-held grater to grate my garlic in the pan. Or you can totally chop your garlic.
Stir until fragrant. You don’t want to burn the garlic. Garlic is sensitive like that. Now is the time to add any seasonings you want into the pan with the onion and garlic. The heat will bring the flavors out of the dried herbs. I added Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Oh! And a touch of red pepper flakes. Not to much though. But if you like it spicy, add as many flakes as you want. I won’t judge. Once the seasonings are heated through and happy, pour the jar of sauce into the pan with the mixture.
Stir, and let the sauce become happy and bubbly for about 10 minutes. This sauce is so good, you don’t even need to serve it in a separate bowl. Just dunk that baby in the pan! If you are having a party, it might be a good idea to serve it in a bowl. Just sayin’. 🙂
The Stromboli’s should be about done. Are they golden brown? Take them out. Holy Stromboli! They are done!
This fast and simple Stromboli recipe is not your typical authentic Italian dish, but if you are wanting a quick way to make your own style of a Stromboli, this is it! These are perfect for parties, and are super kid friendly. And this is definitely husband approved. My man was moaning, and telling me how delicious these were while he was eating. Making these on a first date? Your love might last forever. They are THAT good!
Like, share, comment and tell me what you think! You can find me on Instagram and Twitter! I am now on Facebook! Head on over to my page and give it a like for more delicious content! Search WineyChef. I’ll be there! 🙂 I would love to hear from you guys, and use #WineyChef. I would love to see your creations.
Grab your apron, and let’s cook!
An easy spin of the classic Stromboli.
- 1 Pkg. Italian Link Sausage
- 1 Block Mozzarella
- 1 Pkg. Pizza Dough
- 2 Tbsp. Melted Butter
- 2 Tsp. Italian Seasonings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grab the Italian link sausage. Over medium-high heat cook the Italian link sausage. Brown one side for 5 minutes. Turn over, and brown other side for another 5 minutes. Once brown, add 1/4 cup of water and cover. Let cook for about 10 mins or until internal temperature is 165 degrees. Once done, place the cooked sausage on a plate with a paper towel to soak up all the grease and set it aside.
- Take the pizza dough out of the packaging. Place on a flat surface and cut 5 equal strips or however many sausage links you have, cut that many.
- Take the mozzarella cheese out of the package and slice into small strips.
- Grab the strip of pizza dough, 1 sausage, and slice of mozzarella cheese. Hold the cheese and sausage together and roll them up diagonally to cover up the ends of the cheese and sausage because you will need to pinch the dough together so none of the cheese will seep out during the baking process. Repeat process for the other 4 links of sausage.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with olive oil or any cooking spray. Now place all the mini Stromboli’s onto the cookie sheet.
- Melt some butter in a small bowl. Brush the butter on the tops of the mini Stromboli’s. Now sprinkle some salt and Italian seasonings on top of each Stromboli.
- Bake for 25 mins or until golden brown. Serve with marinara sauce. Recipe is linked below.
Easy Marinara Sauce
Simple marinara dipping sauce. This can also be used on pasta or pizza. The possibilities are endless.
- 1 Jar Marinara Sauce
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Seasonings (Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasonings)
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Chop the onion. Drizzle olive oil into the bottom of the pan. Add chopped onion to preheated pan. Cook for 10 min. or until translucent.
- Peel the three garlic cloves. Grate or chop garlic cloves into the translucent chopped onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the seasonings. Salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings. Add to taste.
- Pour jar of marinara sauce into the pan with chopped onions, grated garlic, and seasonings.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until desired taste.
- Enjoy! This can be used as a dipping sauce, pizza sauce, or even a pasta sauce. You seriously can use this for anything.